Friday, November 16, 2012

Here we go...

We are staying at the Children's House (like the Ronald McDonald House) and so far, it has been great. We got in last night about 6p and they had a group bring in a home cooked meal. It was potato soup and rolls with salad and grapes. Eric and I enjoyed it but Max was not a fan of most of it. He ate a few grapes and a cookie;-). Then we went to the playroom and Max was in his glory!! I posted a video of it last night but I'm not sure if it worked. We played for a while then I gave Max a quick bubble bath and got him in his PJs and was hoping to get him asleep at a reasonable time. We turned off the lights at 9pm but Max was wide awake!! He was in bed with me and was literally jumping and rolling all over the bed and all over me. He was tossing his monkeys (he has Curious George and a monkey from Aiden) all over the place! And he was full of hugs and kisses for me!! Finally, around 10:30, the movement in bed started to slow down and he fell asleep... He slept pretty soundly, which i am happy about. Our alarm went off at 4:45 and he was looking around by 4:50 and wide awake, which was surprising! He was hungry and not pleased that we couldn't give him anything:-(.
We walked about 2 blocks to get here from the Children's House. It was brisk but not to cold out. Max wanted to wear his cute feeted PJs instead of clothes and his winter hat. He looked adorable:-).

He made friends in the waiting room with another little boy who also loves Curious George:-). They got to play together in the playroom after we got all gowned up too. He was very happy and smiley (as usual!).

Then, about 7:25, the teams descended upon us! The anesthesiologist and CRNA were first. They were truly wonderful and I felt very relieved! While they were in with us, Dr. Ain and his nurse popped in. Then the Ortho resident and the OR nurse came in. It was a bit chaotic but I was thoroughly impressed with everyone we came in contact with. The resident told us that there will be a resident, fellow and Dr. Ain in on Max's case. Max was so good despite all of the doctors and people touching him. He never fussed or cried once.

I got to gown up and carry him back to the OR. That was difficult...walking in to the OR with all of the equipment and bright lights didn't even phase Max. He sat up on the bed like a big boy and smiled:-). Dr Ain was sitting in the room and we chatted a bit. I had been preparing Max at home about the face mask that would put him to sleep. He knew that when they put it on him, he was supposed to take deep breaths and that's exactly what he did! Until he realized he didn't like the smell and struggled just a bit... It took about 45 seconds and he was out...he heard me repeating "I love you Max" over and over as he went to sleep. It is so hard to see your baby put to sleep and essentially helpless...I am confident he is in good hands though and I said many prayers in the OR for God to be present. I am confident He is.

So, we are in the waiting room now...procedure officially started about 8:20. I assume we will know within the hour if he has decided to do both legs.

Max picked green for his cast color:-). I can't wait to hold him after he's all done! Thanks for all the prayers and thoughts!! I'll update soon.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow... thanks for the update Michelle. Praying for Max and just as much, praying for mommy too!!! :)

Cynthia Gaarder said...

Good Luck!
Cindy
(Mom of Brianna @ Goddard school)

Michelle said...

Thank you Tes and Cindy!! He is resting comfortably now with some strong meds on board:-). Glad to be on this side of surgery though!