Sunday, October 7, 2012

Made it to Baltimore!

Well, we made it here. It was an uneventful flight, although a little bumpier than I like at times (I like NO bumps!). Max was a champ. He played games and puzzles on the iPhone and looked out the window. He was happy as a clam the whole flight. This was the first flight he has been on without a car seat. He didn't love the seatbelt, but I think it was because he was being very wiggly! The toughest part was that we got off the plane and had to de-board onto the tarmac and grab our luggage and go back up a flight of stairs back into the airport. Well, I had to carry him and 2 bags down the steps and get a 3rd bag and the stroller and go back up the stairs...this was not going to be easy. I debated my options...take him to the top and leave him and run back down to get the bags (that sounded like a really bad idea!!) or leave him down and carry the bags/stroller up and run back down and get him (equally bad!!). A very nice airline worker must have seen me debating and came over to help me and carried the stroller up for me. It was still a challenge to get the 3 bags and Max up but we made it! (although I was huffing and puffing at the top!).
We finally made it to meet with the car service to take us I the hotel. Another issue. He came bearing the oldest and most unsafe carseat I have ever seen. It would not strap in and moved in all directions after strapped it! Worse than that, the part of the 5 point harness that is supposed to be at the armpit level would not lower and sat directly over his neck. If the driver hit his breaks, it would crush his trachea... I was not putting him in it! The driver even agreed the seat was unacceptable. So, after many calls from the driver and Eric (from home) another driver with a more acceptable (but still not super) carseat came to pick us up. We got in at 8:15p and were not en route to the hotel until 9:40p... Max was a CHAMP!! He sat in his stroller curbside with the iPad and his headphones watching muppets;-).
So, as I write this, it is 10:53 and we are waiting for some room service food. Max is starving and wanted PB&J. If it doesn't get here soon, he will be asleep! We meet with anesthesia tomorrow at 1:30 so we can sleep in (and we will!). That is all we have in the schedule tomorrow.
I'll write more soon! Goodnight!!

Sent from my iPhone
Michelle M. Platz M.D.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Oh my goodness! You are SUPER MOM for going by yourself. I'm thinking about how I would be in tears by myself over the luggage thing. You go lady!!